And how does culture maintain its harmony when confronted with the challenge of an aggressive fundamentalism?
- Women, Activism and Social Change: Stretching Boundaries (Routledge Research in Gender and Society);
- Berger, Peter and Anton Zijderveld.?
- Shopping cart.
- In Praise of Doubt - How to Have Convictions without Becoming a Fanatic (Paperback).
- These Things Matter;
- The Zebrafish Cellular and Developmental Biology, Part B Developmental Biology.
The answer, according to world-renowned sociologists Peter Berger and Anton Zijderveld, is doubt. Not the stupefying doubt of relativism where we become incapable of any decision because we are overwhelmed by options, but a virtuous use of doubt that allows us to move forward boldly with strong moral convictions without caving in to the fanatic's temptation of seeing everyone who disagrees with you as the enemy.
In Praise of Doubt: How to Have Convictions Without Becoming a Fanatic by Peter L. Berger
How we as individuals and as a society can find this ideal balance is the subject of this deceptively simple but revolutionary work. In Praise of Doubt takes the reader on an exciting whirlwind tour of the history of modernity, religion, the rise of psychology, Marxism, and the intellectual challenge of relativism, the failure of totalitarianism, fundamentalism as a modern invention, and the startling conclusion explaining why truth, even religious truth, needs doubt to survive and thrive. Mostly, I agree with the premise of this book, that is the desirability of moderate views in a liberal democracy, but I don't find it particularly well argued.
I think that it is a little densely A sociological and philosophical analysis of doubt which, the authors argue, is necessary in the face of modern plurality.
Doubt is necessary in order to avoid to other two reactions to plurality, relativism and fundamentalism. Peter L.
In Praise of Doubt: How to Have Convictions Without Becoming a Fanatic
CLM includes long-form articles, events listings, publication reviews, new product information and updates, reports of conferences and letters. Exceptional customer service Get specialist help and advice. A book that asks and answers Big Questions, In Praise of Doubt offers invaluable guidance on how to have convictions without becoming a fanatic. In Praise of Doubt is essential reading for people of all faiths — and not least secularists.
Newsletter Google 4. Help pages. Prothero Michael J. Benton Richard Fortey View All.
Peter L. Berger
Go to British Wildlife. Conservation Land Management. Go to Conservation Land Management. Click to have a closer look. Select version.
- Self-Learning Control of Finite Markov Chains (Automation and Control Engineering).
- Arabic Proverbs: The Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians.
- Weight Loss - Twenty Pounds in Ten Weeks - Move It to Lose It (The Health Colonel Series).
- Knots and Links?
- Search form?
- Log in to Wiley Online Library!
- Related Books.
- Dialog Theory for Critical Argumentation (Controversies, Volume 5)!
- J.K. Lassers buy, sell, or hold : manage your portfolio for maximum gain.
- Evidence-Based Manual Medicine.
- Lumbosacral and Pelvic Procedures?
About this book Customer reviews Related titles. Images Additional images.
Customer Reviews Review this book. Media reviews. Current promotions.
Related In praise of doubt : how to have convictions without becoming a fanatic
Copyright 2019 - All Right Reserved